In this article we will consider what needs to be mixed to get a brown color in the paints.
Such a noble and calm color, like brown, has always dominated the clothes of wealthy and noble representatives. By the way, its main characteristic is stability and sustainability. But often in the palette there is no such color or its necessary shade. And young or even experienced artists should be able to choose the right colors in order to independently create the color scheme of the brown spectrum. And our recommendations will help in this aspect.
How to get brown when mixing: 3 ways
Before rushing to the color scheme and brushes, you need to remember what colors there are. They are divided into two groups - main and additional. Two other subgroups are also distinguished - compound and complex. All of them make up the design of four groups of basic colors.
Remember - primary colors cannot be obtained by combining any palettes. By the way, it is they who become the basis for creating other colors. Moreover, having at hand still black and white, you can extract absolutely any color.
IMPORTANT: Brown refers to a group of complex colors.
We offer three basic methods for producing brown.
Green (blue + yellow) with red
- Even schoolchildren know that brown comes out if you mix two colors together - green and red. This is the case when it comes to the primary and composite color.
- But the challenge still lies in making a green tint. Easy peasy! Take two primary colors - yellow and blue.
- You need to take an equal number of different shades. But consider your wishes.
- If you want to get a darker color in the end, then add a little more blue, but already in the finished green color.
- If, on the contrary, you want to make a more transparent shade, then initially take a little more yellow.
- After obtaining the secondary color, we proceed to the production of tertiary. In the green color that you have, you need to add a little red tone.
- It is important to introduce red paint, and not vice versa! After all, it is the main tone that regulates the degree of darkness and the saturation of a brown hue. If you add an excessively red color, then you will get a more brick tint.
- But also keep in mind that red makes brown so warm (in large quantities it can even create a rust effect), but green, on the contrary, will make it even a little grayish and cold.
Orange (yellow + red) with blue
- The first step is to take the red color. And already add yellow to it. By the way, it must be introduced gradually and in small quantities.
- On average, yellow should be only 10% of the volume of red. It is important to get a dark orange. But keep in mind that a lot of red color will create a reddish brown color.
- Blue paint will need even less - 5-7% of the total. It is also necessary to add gradually, in small portions and mixing the components well.
- Of course, adjust the hue and saturation of the brown color with a blue tint.
Purple (red + blue) with yellow
- Red and blue color should be taken in equal quantities. Then you can get a noble, and even royal shade of purple, which will have the desired saturation and warmth.
- Then, you need to enter a little yellow. It will lighten the resulting purple, so keep an eye on the amount. If it is predominantly yellow, then brown will come out lighter and warmer. The violet tone acts in the opposite way.
IMPORTANT: Too much yellow paint will create a shade of ocher.
How to make a light brown color from paints, gouache when mixing?
To get a light brown color, you need to give predominance to yellow. But! Again, too much of it will make the color look like ocher. And, of course, it all depends on the desired lordship.
- To whiten the brown color, you need add white. Yes, it's that simple. The more you add it, the brighter the final color will be.
- But do not overdo it, brown color refers to warm shades, and white color will neutralize this characteristic. Therefore, enter very carefully, gradually and in small portions (literally, 1% of the total mass of paints).
- Although correcting the situation will help adding the previous color.
How to get a dark brown color when mixing paints, gouache?
If we talk about the previous mixing options, then more blue or green will make a darker brown color. But they will bring in their own shade. There is another, simpler and faster way to get a dark brown color.
- Simply add black paint. But you need to work with it very carefully, since a small dose of excess paint will simply turn it into a black gamut.
- Therefore, introduce the paint in tiny portions and take note of one rule - experiment with a small amount of paint.
- By the way, in order not to lose the right color, mix a little black with white. But leave the dominance of the first shade. Just make it a little softer as it can quickly "eat" brown.
How to get chocolate when mixing paints, gouache?
To create a chocolate color, you need to tinker a bit. The most unencumbered scheme is to pick the right tones of orange and blue. But there is another possible option.
- Combine the yellow and blue paint to get a dark green color. In another bowl, combine red and a drop of yellow to create an orange.
- Now combine the two colors obtained. And in the end, get the color of green grass or grass green.
- Now you need to create a blood - red color. To do this, combine the same orange and red palette.
- In conclusion, it remains to combine the two complex colors obtained.
- And as a result, we get the color of real chocolate.
- If you want milk chocolate, then add a drop of white paint
- A mixture of white and yellow will give an additional golden hue to the color
- Black chocolate is made again by adding black paint.
- But the yellow color with chocolate will help to get a beautiful and even brown color.
How to get coffee when mixing paints, gouache?
- Coffee color can be obtained by adding the same black gouache. Also, you need to mix according to the technology - orange paint plus blue color. In this case, you can achieve the desired tone.
- Alternatively, you can achieve the desired color with a composition of purple and orange paint. If necessary, add a drop of black.
Color Mixing: Table
For visual perception, we want to provide you with a table in which all possible versions of removing brown color and its gamut will be shown. To get a brown color, you need to mix the composite colors, adding to them the main shade. True, there are other options where the composition includes not just secondary colors, but even complex palettes.