In this article we will get acquainted with mushrooms called umbrellas. You will learn how to pickle, fry, freeze and cook various dishes with these mushrooms.
Umbrella mushrooms are bypassed by many, taking them for poisonous or inedible specimens. But there are true connoisseurs of such inhabitants of the forest, noting their incredible nutty aroma and very delicate taste. This mushroom is not only easy to prepare, but also looks very beautiful when served on the table. Moreover, it really can be called a delicacy. To properly prepare the mushroom umbrellas, you need to arm yourself with some cognitive information about them, this will be discussed in this article.
How to clean umbrella mushrooms before cooking?
- The leg at the umbrellas is very easy to detach from the cap and is not eaten. The fact is that the leg is hollow, so to a greater extent there is simply nothing to eat there. But it also has a fibrous structure, which makes the stiff leg for cooking. Therefore, boldly remove it by twisting it at the base near the cap.
IMPORTANT: Do not discard the umbrella leg. It can be used as a mushroom seasoning. She will have an incredibly rich aroma and taste, especially since such a seasoning will have a natural origin and even benefit the body. To do this, the legs of the fungus are dried and ground into powder. You can simply throw the dried leg or pre-cut rings into soup. After cooking the broth, it is disposed of.
- Before cleaning the hat, be sure to check for worms. If they are, then such products are discarded or damaged parts are cut out. In the process of cooking, they become bitter, so they can spoil the entire batch of mushrooms.
- The main task in cleaning the hats is to remove coarse flakes. To do this, wipe the mushroom with a dry sponge from dirt and rough "shaggy" parts. They quickly and strongly absorb moisture, so many use the dry cleaning method.
- But washing under a stream of clean water also does not hurt. Do this quickly and gently so as not to damage the delicate fibers of the fungus. Wipe the surface of the cap slightly with your hands.
Do I need to boil umbrella mushrooms before frying, pickling, pickling?
The question is a bit controversial, more precisely, it has two correct answers. Do not forget that mushrooms are capable and do it quickly - they absorb everything from the environment. Including various dirt, toxins and even poisons. Moreover, they absorb not only from groundwater and soil, but also from the air. Therefore, the main rule is to pick mushrooms only in ecologically clean areas. In places where the highway does not pass, and there are no contaminated objects.
- If you bought mushrooms in a supermarket, then they do not need pre-cooking. After all, they are grown in clean special places. But finding umbrellas on store shelves is very problematic.
- But mushrooms bought on the market from strangers require mandatory preliminary cooking.
- If you picked mushrooms yourself and are confident in the cleanliness of the area, then cooking umbrellas is not necessary, but desirable. The fact is that the “forest inhabitants” can receive an insignificant but undesirable dose of a harmful substance.
You need to cook umbrellas to neutralize toxins
IMPORTANT: Cooking mushrooms before cooking is necessary in order to remove and neutralize all negative toxins from the fungus. Umbrellas belong to those types of mushrooms that do not need preliminary cooking. Since they do not absorb all this muck or absorb only its very small fraction. Moreover, they can even be consumed raw. But do not forget that the mushroom also absorbs the products of its own vital functions.
- Also remember some rules that also push the cooking of mushrooms-umbrellas (and not only) before cooking:
- An arid and sultry summer will make even a young and tasty mushroom bitter. Pre-cooking will remove this bitterness.
- The large size of the fungus indicates its great age. Young umbrellas are considered the most tender, old mushrooms lose this property a little. Pre-cooking will slightly soften them.
- We made a reservation about this rule - bought mushrooms from the hands of strangers need to be cooked. Indeed, one cannot believe the word in what places and conditions the mushrooms grew.
- A small recommendation regarding cooking mushrooms is toss the whole onion head with them. If some mushroom is "unclean", then the bulb will turn blue.
- But don’t cook the umbrellas for too long - they will become too soft and tasteless or even fall apart. It takes only 5-15 minutes to cook them, depending on age. The younger the mushroom, the less it needs to be boiled.
- Choose a cooking pot from enameled or stainless steel, in no case do not take aluminum containers. Mushrooms are placed in a pan and poured with cold salted water.
- Be sure to make noise during the cooking process!
- And a little advice on how to determine the readiness of the mushroom - it will begin to sink to the bottom. This will be a signal that it is time to remove them. Gently drain the water and pour the umbrellas into a colander, let a little drain of excess fluid.
Umbrella mushrooms - how to fry with onions?
There is nothing easier than cooking mushrooms, umbrellas with onions. Once again we repeat that they do not need obligatory preliminary cooking. Therefore, if you are confident in the "purity" of the mushroom, then you can fry umbrellas in raw form.
- After preliminary cleaning from the “husks” and washing in running water, the mushrooms are cut into layers or triangles. Throw in a preheated pan, oiled.
- Chop the onions in half rings or straws and add to the mushrooms when all the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates.
- Sauté until golden brown. If desired, you can add carrots or sour cream, which will make the mushrooms even more delicate in taste.
Interesting fact: Umbrellas are very interesting mushrooms. They can be a bit like fish, or they can be like pork or chicken. The whole secret lies in the oil, which fry the mushroom. If you use vegetable oil, then you get the taste of fish, you can create tender chicken on butter, and pork chop on pork lard.
Umbrella mushrooms - how to cook in batter: recipe
Opened hats will perfectly decorate the table, if they are entirely cooked in batter. They turn out like meat chops or beautiful pancakes. There are several variations of frying mushroom umbrellas in batter. This is one of the most beloved ways of most supporters of "silent hunting".
- Mushrooms - 5-10 pcs.
- eggs - 2-3 pcs.
- flour - 10 g
- breadcrumbs - 100 g, optional
- garlic - 2-3 cloves, optional
- salt and pepper - to your taste
- Mushrooms are cleaned of dirt, dust and scales. Rinse under running water. Large layers of mushroom pancakes will look very nice. Therefore, cutting it is not necessary. But can be cut into triangular or other arbitrary pieces.
- For seasoning, it is sufficient to use only salt and pepper. Umbrellas themselves have a very rich taste and aroma, so they do not need additional spices. Salt and pepper with a small amount of mushroom slices.
- Beat the eggs with a fork, adding a little salt, ground black pepper and squeeze the crushed garlic (but this is by no means a prerequisite). Now pour in the flour, thoroughly mixing the contents. The batter is calculated according to the following scheme: for 3 medium-sized mushrooms, take 1 egg and 3-4 tbsp. l flour. Focus on your quantity.
IMPORTANT: Using seasonings, remember - umbrellas absorb those flavor notes that you add to them. Therefore, adding spices and seasonings, you interrupt their real taste. Alternatively, breadcrumbs can be used instead of flour.
- Pre-boil the mushrooms is not necessary, especially if you fry the mushroom in its entirety. To preserve its shape as much as possible, you can do without preliminary cooking. But, again, this applies only to environmentally friendly mushrooms.
- Frying umbrellas in olive oil is considered an ideal option, but you can replace it with vegetable, butter, and even pork fat. Warm the pan well.
- Each piece must be dipped in batter with a fork or spatula and placed in a pan. If you want to get a beautiful golden and crisp, then roll the mushrooms in breadcrumbs after the batter.
- It is necessary to fry on both sides until golden brown over moderate heat. On average, it takes 5-7 minutes to fry one side, depending on the age and size of the mushroom.
- Then cover, reduce heat and simmer mushrooms in a pan for another 7-10 minutes.
How to freeze, store, prepare mushrooms-umbrellas for the winter?
Umbrellas are stored in the refrigerator in a fresh state for no more than 2 days. And only on condition that they will receive constant air access, and the packaging for storage will be either open or paper. Therefore, they need to cook delicious dishes as quickly as possible. But you want to please your loved ones with autumn "booty" and in winter. A little later, we will return to the topic of how to store them in banks and prepare for the winter by conservation.
You can save mushrooms by freezing them:
- Mushrooms must be carefully sorted so that there are no worms or damaged places. They need to be poured with cold water and left for 15-20 minutes so that all the dirt comes out.
- Then they need to be thrown into a colander and left a little to glass water. Meanwhile, prepare the brine.
- Put mushrooms on a fire and boil for 10-15 minutes. As soon as the mushrooms begin to sink to the bottom, immediately remove them from the heat and send them back to the colander. Leave to drain for half an hour. You can still put them on a kitchen towel for additional drying.
- Then put the hats on a tray or board, you can pre-cover it with parchment paper. And send it to the freezer for a few hours.
- Then they should be transferred to plastic containers with a tight-fitting lid or in an airtight bag. Frozen mushrooms are stored for no more than 6 months.
Dry method of storing mushrooms of umbrellas or drying
- An even simpler way, only takes a little more time not so much with its operations as with the drying of the products themselves.
- Never wash the mushrooms! Before drying, they are saturated with excess and unnecessary moisture. And this is extremely undesirable.
- Mushrooms are cleaned using the dry method using a kitchen sponge. Pay particular attention to hat flakes.
- Cut into plates, triangles or leave whole small hats. By the way, the legs can also be dried by grinding them in the future for seasoning.
- Now there are two methods that differ in the speed of preparation:
- Mushrooms are evenly laid out on a baking sheet or board covered with cooking paper. They are dried in the sun in a well-ventilated area. The drying process covers 7-10 days, depending on weather conditions;
- Or they put pieces of umbrellas on a thread or wire and also broadcast in a well-ventilated area. In this case, the mushrooms will be ready after 2 weeks.
IMPORTANT: Be sure to cover the umbrellas with gauze to protect them from dust and flies.
- Ready mushrooms should remain light, dried, but bent. That is, they should not break and crack in the hands.
- Store dried mushrooms in a dry jar with a tight-fitting lid or paper bags. Away from humid and too warm places.
Umbrella mushrooms - how to salt for the winter?
Salting mushrooms-umbrellas is a completely time-consuming and painstaking process. Such an appetizer can be a real dish for the table, which will help out in any situation. It should also be noted that mushrooms can be eaten even during fasting.
Dry or cold method of salting mushrooms with umbrellas
- Mushrooms umbrellas - up to 1 kg
- salt - 50-70 g
- Experienced mushroom pickers in this method note the highest naturalness and sterility of the product, due to the presence of salt. Therefore, it is not necessary to wash mushrooms before dry salting. More precisely, it is not even recommended. After all, then the mushroom absorbs a lot of excess moisture, which then will drain for a long time.
- Clean the scales of the mushroom and remove dust and other dirt on the cap with a dry washcloth. Unscrew the leg. No need to cut into plates.
- Spread whole hats in glass or enameled dishes, pouring each hat with salt.
- Note that umbrellas absorb salt well and quickly! therefore, it’s better to salt themrather than getting a pick on the table.
- At the end, cover the container with a clean cloth or gauze and place it on top. Some experienced housewives have a “favorite” stone or brick for these purposes. But it can easily be replaced by a bunch of plastic bottles of water or a five-liter full eggplant.
- Leave the mushrooms for 3-4 days. During this period they will start up juice. If they will be stored in a cool place or in the refrigerator, then they need to be transferred to sterilized jars and tightly closed with a lid.
- If the brine comes out a little, then add new cooked liquid. Keep the following proportion - 1 g of water requires 20 g of a free-flowing substance, that is, salt. After closing, the cans are kept for several days in a warm room.
IMPORTANT: If you are going to store salted mushrooms in the apartment, then the banks need to be sterilized. To do this, a new brine is prepared, the mushrooms are placed in a pan with water (do not forget to put a piece of cloth on the bottom of the dishes) and are sterilized for 30-45 minutes. Depending on the size of the jar. But it is more convenient to use a half-liter capacity.Umbrellas are hot and cold salted
A hot way to pickle umbrella mushrooms
- Umbrellas - 2 kg
- salt - 65 g
- dill - several umbrellas
- garlic - a few cloves
- peas and allspice - 5-6 pcs.
- bay leaf - 2-3 pcs.
- vegetable oil calcined
- Peel the mushrooms and cut into arbitrary pieces. After pour salted water and cook until it sinks to the bottom. Throw it in a colander. But do not pour the brine
- When the mushrooms have cooled, put them in sterilized jars. Do not forget to periodically add various spices and seasonings
- Pour mushrooms with heated brine, in which umbrellas were cooked. Sterilize each jar for half an hour
- Add to them 2 tbsp. oils. Cover with lids, refrigerate and transfer to storage space.
Umbrella mushrooms - how to pickle for the winter?
Pickled umbrellas not only preserve mushrooms until winter, but also become incredibly tasty in their own way. This method is still loved by many mushroom pickers because the mushroom retains a maximum of useful elements and does not lose its qualities for another year.
- Go through all the mushrooms and make sure several times that you have umbrellas in front of you. Eliminate wormy and rotten mushrooms.
- Remove the legs and clean the caps from the scales. Large mushrooms need to be cut into pieces. Then put them in a colander and dip them in a bucket of cold water for 5-10 minutes. Repeat the procedure several times. Let them drain.
- In the meantime, prepare the brine - 1 tbsp will be required for 1 liter of cold water. salt and a pinch of citric acid (on the tip of a knife).
- Put the mushrooms in an enameled pan or stainless steel dish and pour the prepared solution.
- Put on the fire and, removing all the noise, cook mushrooms until they start to sink to the bottom. Then again throw them in a colander.
- Now it's time to cook the marinade:
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 g citric acid
- 2-3 carnation inflorescences
- 3-4 pcs. black and allspice
- as well as 2-3 leaves of bay leaf
- Mix all this in another saucepan and boil. At the very end, add a spoonful of vinegar and remove from heat
- Mushrooms need to be decomposed into sterilized jars and pour hot marinade
- Take a tall pan so that the jar fits completely. Heat the water and only then place the jars for sterilization. Otherwise, the jar may crack due to the contact of hot and cold water.
- When the water begins to boil, note the time and sterilize the umbrellas for at least 40 minutes. over low heat
- Roll up also with sterilized covers, turn over and wrap in a warm blanket. Leave in this position for 2-3 days. Then you can put them in a place to store winter blanks
- But note that pickled umbrellas can be eaten no earlier than a month later. Just then they will reach that rich taste and necessary aroma
How to make soup from umbrella mushrooms: recipe?
Soups can be prepared at your discretion by adding or removing some ingredients. But, no matter what recipe you choose, the rich aroma and divine taste will not leave anyone indifferent. We bring to your attention a classic recipe for mushroom soup with umbrellas.
- Mushrooms - 300-500 g
- potatoes - 3-4 tubers
- onions and carrots - 2-3 pcs.
- salt and spices to taste
- cooking oil - in fact
- water - 2 l
- Mushrooms need to be cleaned, washed and cut into small plates. Boil in water for no more than 15 minutes.
- Then add chopped potatoes and cook until tender.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion, grate the carrots and fry everything until golden brown in vegetable or olive oil
- Add to broth. Also do not forget to add bay leaf, salt, pepper and your favorite spices. Boil for another 3-4 minutes, then remove from heat. You can also sprinkle with chopped parsley and dill.
How to prepare sauce from mushrooms-umbrellas: recipe
Umbrella-based mushroom sauce will be the perfect complement to any dish. It will decorate not only a weekly lunch with pasta, but also a festive dinner with mashed potatoes. What is there, such a sauce even smear on bread, you still lick your fingers.
- Umbrella mushrooms - 0.5 kg
- pickled cucumbers - 1-2 pcs.
- Bulgarian pepper - 1 pc.
- bacon - 50 g
- cream - 4-5 tablespoons
- tomato paste - 2 tbsp.
- salt and spices to taste
- flour - 2 tsp
- Mushrooms need to be washed and finely chopped. It can be straws or cubes. Then fry the umbrellas until the liquid evaporates, adding bacon, salt and pepper and your favorite spices
- In the process of cooking mushrooms in your own juice, cut the pepper into cubes, after removing the core, and send it to the pan
- When the liquid has evaporated almost completely, add flour. Fry the contents a little and pour cream, pasta (you can vary the taste with ketchup) and a little water
- Simmer over low heat for no more than 10 minutes, stirring constantly. At the very end of cooking, add finely chopped cucumbers. Stir, cover and let stand a little