This article will be useful to gardeners, since strawberries grow in almost all areas. Here are the methods for saving strawberries from wilting.
Strawberries and strawberries belong to the same species - green strawberries. These are very tasty, juicy and fragrant berries that positively affect the digestive system and heart function. It should also be noted that strawberries have a rejuvenating effect and act as an aphrodisiac, and also fight against viral and various bactericidal infections. But such a plant is very moody, so gardeners often encounter problems, for example, with the drying of leaves and the seedling itself. It is this task that will be considered in this material.
Why does strawberry, strawberry with berries during fruiting period dry and die: causes
Strawberries are not only healthy, but also delicious. Therefore, the kids are so eagerly awaiting her harvest. It is a heat-loving plant, but it is also grown in the northern regions. Ripening occurs at the end of May - beginning of June. Much depends on the species, climatic conditions and care. Yes, you can’t say that strawberries are so picky, but she loves care and attention.
Interesting Facts! The name "strawberry" has Russian and Old Slavonic roots. The berry was originally called "strawberry green" (that is, from the Latin "fragrant"). And only in XVIII century entrenched a new name. By the way, it comes from the word "club", that is, "having a spherical shape" or "winding threads." But that is not all. In those days, in European countries, the nutmeg was popular, the name of which was replaced.
- Strawberries love water. Therefore, a common cause of drying of the bush during fruiting is lack of moisture. Especially if the summer was hot and without rain. In the period of fruit ovary, watering should be maximized. But even after the appearance of the first strawberries, do not forget about regular watering.
- A distinctive feature of this problem is the dry and cracked earth under the bushes, the leaves dry out, and the fruits themselves are reduced in size and also dry out.
- But pouring it is also not worth it. Otherwise, fungal diseases may develop or the fruit will rot. Get injured from excessive watering maybe the root that starts to rot, and this will lead to the drying of the ground part.
- Lack of heat or improperly selected area. Remember - strawberries love heat and sunlight, but are afraid of cold winds and drafts. Therefore, do not plant it in the shade of trees and in open areas where a cold wind blows.
- Also, the reason may be hiding in thermal burn. It is necessary to water strawberries early in the morning when the dew slept or late in the evening. Otherwise, a burning sun can cause a burn. Remember - moisture must be absorbed before the appearance of scorching rays.
IMPORTANT: You can not pour water on leaves or fruits, water must flow strictly under the bush. Again, this can cause burns or the bush will begin to rot.
- If everything is in order with watering, the landing site is chosen correctly and periodically transplanted, then the reason for the drying of the ground part is covered or in pests, or in fungal diseases. These two reasons require special attention, so we will consider them a little later in detail.
- Also, one of the reasons may be vitamin starvation. Do not forget that plants need a lot (but in moderation) of phosphorus and potassium. Therefore, if no one harms your bushes and they get enough light and moisture, then it's time to apply fertilizer. The most famous and safe potash fertilizer is ash, and with phosphorus deficiency, superphosphate and phosphate flour are the most significant.
Why leaves turn yellow, blacken, dry, leaf edges, buds, berries of recently planted strawberries, wild strawberries, Victoria in the garden: diseases, treatment
Unfortunately, fungal ailments are often found in the garden and in the garden. It is important during time to notice the true roots of the cause of strawberry drying and to carry out the necessary treatment or preventive measures for other bushes.
- It is insidious and can appear on any other cultures and flowers. It begins to appear with brown spots, which quickly increase in size. The fruit becomes soft and loses its rich color. Such strawberries are not suitable for food.
- The fruits rot, but remain hanging on the bushes. Thus, pulling the juices from the plant, which leads to drying of the leaves. Over time, the rot on the fruit begins to become covered with a gray fluff.
- The insidiousness of such a disease is that it is impossible to recognize an ailment at the initial stage. The bush may look completely healthy and juicy at the stage of fruit formation. A mushroom that lives in the earth attacks a mature ovary.
- Not subject to treatment! If such symptoms are found, tear out the bush and burn. The disease can also spread to other seedlings, so you need to remove the diseased strawberries as quickly as possible.
- Very important - cultivate the land! For 3 years, disputes persist in it. An excellent option would be Bordeaux liquid. A weak solution of potassium permanganate of a pale pink color is also well used.
- Do not forget about such an effective remedy as copper sulfate. It is necessary to breed no more than 20 g per 10 liters of water. And keep in mind that crops can only be harvested two weeks after spraying.
Another common disease that begins to affect the leaves first. And only then it attacks the stems, mustaches and fruits. If the disease began to appear during the flowering period, then the fruits will come out clumsy and tasteless.
- The disease is characterized by a white coating with drops of liquid. Leaves begin to curl, stop growing and dry.
IMPORTANT: The risk of powdery mildew in the greenhouse is particularly increased. Because spores like high humidity and warm air. Therefore, regularly ventilate the greenhouses in the morning and evening. Make sure that the humidity does not exceed 50-60%.
- For treatment bushes need to be sprayed and watered milk or whey. Divorced with water in a ratio of 1: 3. That is, for 1 liter of milk you need to take 3 parts of water. You can water and spray strawberries with this solution every 7 days.
- Ash helps against many plant diseases. And its main advantage is environmental friendliness and harmlessness. Therefore, it is not worth worrying about berries, and you can already have a harvest after a few days.
- It is necessary to prepare a solution of ash 3-5 days, more precisely, to insist. For 1 kg of sifted ash, 10 liters of water are needed. Also, it will not be superfluous if you rub another bar of laundry soap before watering. Do not forget to stir well until it is completely dissolved.
- Laundry soap can be used as an independent medicine. For 10 liters of water you need to take 1 bar of soap. The fungus of flour dew is afraid of copper, so 20 g copper sulfate only enhance the effect of the soap solution.
- Iodine. Another method that can be used both as a prophylaxis and for treatment. For spraying, you need to dilute 10 ml of iodine in 10 liters of water.
This is a fungal disease that is considered the most dangerous. After all, his disputes live in the earth for as long as 15 years. Moreover, you can infect other seedlings through garden tools.
- The main features of the disease are dried lower leaves. They usually have a reddish or brown tint. Then the bush begins to wilt more and more and eventually dries completely.
- Another prominent feature is the red color of the petioles and the dwarf size of the ground part. By the way, in old seedlings, symptoms become noticeable only in front of the fruit ovary.
- When the first signs appear, it is useless to save the bush. The mushroom begins to act actively already in the process of ovary and ripening. If you use too toxic but active chemicals, then this entire "periodic table" gets to your table.
- Therefore, diseased seedlings break out and burn. The earth should be treated with Bordeaux liquid or Fitospirin. Do not use them during harvesting! Also, it does not hurt, especially in the greenhouse, to remove the top layer of the earth.
- For prevention, we can only advise observing crop rotation. Every 3-5 years, strawberries are transplanted to a new place. You can land on the old site at least 5 years later.
- At white spotting round dots of red-brown color begin to appear. Then they begin to increase in size, and a white spot appears in the center. Over time, a hole may form in the sheet.
- Brown spotting characterized by black or brown dots, which begin to increase and eventually cover the entire terrestrial part.
- Bushes with such diseases are not treated. They are completely removed. The earth needs to be treated with Bordeaux fluid, and sprinkle healthy bushes with copper sulfate or another copper-containing preparation.
- You can also add wood ash or laundry soap.
- Be sure to remove the dry leaves between the seedlings, and change the mulch every year.
- Be sure to apply potash and phosphate fertilizers, they are responsible for the immunity of the plant.
- It first covers the leaves on which brown spots appear, and then it dries. In the end, the fruits themselves rot. Dark or light spots appear on them, which are hard to the touch. The berries themselves become bitter and hard.
- For treatment, copper sulfate, Bordeaux liquid and Fitospirin are also used. Among folk remedies, ash, serum and laundry soap stand out. Please note that chemicals must be used before the fruit has ovary, or at least 3 weeks before harvest.
Why leaves turn yellow, turn black, dry, leaf edges, buds, berries of recently planted strawberries, wild strawberries, Victoria in the garden: pests, processing
Pests cause no less harm than diseases. There are a large number of them, but many of them have similar symptoms and treatment methods. Therefore, we select only the main “attackers”.
Straw or transparent mite
- A microscopic insect that feeds on plant sap. It is hard to notice with the naked eye, it becomes visible only by the yellow and swirling leaves, which dry up over time.
- The plant grows poorly and develops. It also gives this insect an oily coating. Favorable conditions are increased long-term humidity and heat.
- The fight against them consists in processing a solution of Karbofos. But this procedure can only be carried out before flowering (as a preventative measure) and after harvesting.
- If the bushes are severely affected by pests, then they are mowed, and the residues are processed.
- Be sure to weed the crop. This should be done at the very beginning and carefully monitored after the discovery of the first symptom.
IMPORTANT: Use only healthy seedlings and do not allow moisture to stagnate. Also thin out the seedlings so that there is enough distance between them.
The beetle is gray-black in color, with a characteristic trunk bent down. The body of the beetle is covered with light villi.
- To combat it, they also use Karbofos. Among folk methods, a solution of soda is effective. For 1 liter, 2 tbsp is enough. baking soda.
- You can also use birch tar. For 10 l of water, 3-4 caps are required. To enhance the effect, you can add soap shavings.
- Laundry soap (1 bar) must be diluted in a solution of ash. You can spray even after fruit set, but only in dry weather.
Shell-free mollusk also loves to enjoy a juicy berry. Slugs are more active at night, so they can be collected and destroyed in the morning. To do this, place small pieces of slate between the beds.
- For prevention, mulching with sawdust or needles is used.
- Good solution of mustard - 10 tbsp. l on 1 liter of water. This can water the seedlings and spray the diseased bushes.
- Zelenka is another folk method that does not harm the ensuing fruits. In 10 liters of water it is worth diluting 10 ml of brilliant green.
These are transparent, thin worms that have a cylindrical shape. They feed on the sap of the plant, so the leaves are crowded, turn yellow and dry.
- For the fight, it is advisable to use preventive measures. In the spring you need to sprinkle lime between the rows.
- If strawberries are planted for the first time, then lime is poured directly into the hole. The seedlings themselves should be lowered into warm water, then into cold water and only then sent to the open ground.
- You can also spray the crop with a 5% solution of copper sulfate.
- Or use garlic infusion. To do this, chop 200 g of garlic and dilute in 1 liter of water. You need to insist for a day, then water the bushes.
- Also, a preventive measure will be planting a nearby crop of garlic or planting some bushes.
It is a large brown pest. It can winter at a depth of 30 cm in the ground, and in the spring ruin the crop or even inflorescences. Due to its large paws, it is able to dig tunnels and move around a large area, eating another crop.
- The safest way is to use lures. Bottles or cans are buried in the ground for 10-15 cm, into which water or vegetable oil is poured. Beetles will fall without the ability to get out.
- Among the drugs are "Force", "Zolon" and "Marshall".
- They are afraid of noise. Therefore, put noise windmills. You can use cans, nuts or metal bottle caps.
- You can spray the crop with soap and water. 1 piece of laundry soap in 10 liters of water.
Why leaves turn yellow, turn black, dry, leaf edges, buds, berries of recently planted strawberries, wild strawberries, Victoria in the garden: improper care, corrective measures
Improper care consists either in the use of mineral-poor soil, or in improper watering.
- To prevent evaporation of the desired moisture, use mulching with straw or humus. It will also not allow the fruits to touch the ground. And this often leads to the fact that the fruits from below begin to rot.
- Water only in the morning or in the evening when there is no scorching sun. This will prevent the formation of burns. Also need to be watered only under the root.
- To adjust the desired percentage of moisture, place 1 liter or 1.5 liter plastic bottles in the area. Previously, they need to make holes on the sides. Bury in the ground, leaving only the neck. Water will be poured into it. This will help to avoid fluid stagnation, and the plant will use it rationally through the root system.
- Plant bushes from each other at a distance of 20-25 cm. You can use a checkerboard arrangement of seedlings. If the strawberries are overgrown, remove old bushes. You not only protect the crop from drying out, but also from the formation of diseases. By the way, with a dense planting, strawberries grow shallow.
- Remove mustaches and weeds on time! This, by the way, will prevent the appearance of pests. Yes, and there will be more crops.
- Fertilize.In addition to potassium and phosphorus, magnesium deficiency can appear with dried and yellow leaves. To restore it, add magnesium sulfate in the ratio - 15 g per 10 liters of water.
- The nitrogen content should be kept normal. Its deficiency can also be characterized by dried leaves and a bright yellow color. To restore the nitrogen balance in the soil, use 25 g of ammonium nitrate per 10 l of water for irrigation.
- It does not hurt to regularly water the strawberry crop with mullein solution (1-2 handfuls per 10 l) or ash infusion. These drugs are completely harmless, nourish the bushes with the necessary substances and protect against diseases and pests.
What to do with fading, drying strawberries, strawberries, Victoria, if the reasons are unknown: transplant
Diseases and insects cannot immediately hit the entire crop. Though not fast, but they will attack gradually. If there is not enough moisture or fertilizer, then, yes, reflect immediately on the entire site.
- But sometimes the reason is a dense planting or propagation by the antennae of the strawberry itself. Watch for this. They need to be either cut off, or, if they have managed to take root, transplanted.
- Regularly transplant strawberries to another place. This should be done every 3-5 years. Do not plant near the old site. After all, diseases and insects, if any, will quickly move to a new place.
- Transplant strawberries in the first months of autumn or spring. If you decide to transplant it in late April - early May, then be prepared for the fact that the crop will be very vulnerable to ailments and pests.
- Do not transplant young seedlings. They must be at least two years old!
- Transplant strawberries only before flowering. Even before the ovary of inflorescences. Since the plant will take root (which is only 10%), but the fruits will already be lost. By the way, the bushes themselves often die too.
- When you are planting in the soil, dip a seedling in a solution of clay and manure.
- You can further disinfect the soil. For this, vinegar essence (10 ml per 10 l), laundry soap, wood ash, copper sulfate and Bordeaux liquid are suitable.
- Plants that are sick or have a withered and dried appearance cannot be transplanted! Only healthy seedlings are transplanted!
- Be sure to make all the necessary fertilizers before planting.
Preventive measures against diseases, pests, against the drying of strawberries, strawberries, Victoria: tips, tricks
The only and main advice in the fight against pests and diseases will be prevention. Any disease is easier to prevent than to cure.
- Plant only strong seedlings and grow pure varieties. If you have several types of strawberries, plant them at such a distance that they are not pollinated. And, moreover, they did not have the ability to weave a mustache.
- Remember - the older the bush, the more diseases and pests it has. Ideally, it is considered to do a transplant every 2 years.
- By the way, do not plant in the area where tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant or pepper used to grow. The minimum should be 3 years after planting the last crop. After all, old diseases and insects can go to strawberries.
- As an option - always cultivate the land. Even ordinary boiling water will already destroy some larvae or spores.
- Another effective method is to first plant mustard or garlic in the old place.
- Remove weeds on time! And do not stack them nearby in compost, but immediately send them to the designated place. This will only create favorable conditions for the development of bacteria and unsolicited guests.
- Watch out for watering. Strawberries have an underdeveloped root system, so they feel a lack of moisture very subtly. And this will lead to her becoming vulnerable.