Amber is a very beautiful stone, but you can often get fake. Let's look at how to identify a fake of this stone.
Nowadays, there are a huge number of amber products. But what needs to be done to find out if you purchased real amber or is it still fake? How to do this at home?
Signs of fake amber: what can amber be confused with?
First things first, you can evaluate the fake by typeat:
- Doubtfully even and clear pattern on the array.
- The presence of lumps of paint and sparkles inside. Oval air bubbles.
- Too intense color that is completely unusual for natural stone.
It is almost impossible to distinguish between natural amber stone and resin from tropical trees (digging). Very often, digging can be confused with amber.Digging
- Natural stone is very similar in appearance to digging. Digging melts faster than a real mineral. To dig it became harder and denser, reagents are used.
- Age difference. Amber was found more than ten million years ago. The first mention of kopal dates back to no more than three million years, and some of them even less - 145-210 years.
- Kopal has an unpleasant smell when heated. Something reminiscent of medications. Natural stone has a delicate smell of cloves and needles.
- The top shell of the digging has a cloudy hue, but when it is split, it will be transparent, like amber.
The skill is considered to be the master’s ability to insert an insect into the resin, to give it an interesting “pose” and to do an exclusive work that is very much appreciated. However, finding natural stones with plants or insects is almost impossible.
But if you have all succeeded, then carefully look at the insect. If the wings were spread, then it strained the wings with all its might to get out of the resin. If you have a fake, then the pose of the insect will be less lively, because it was already an inanimate creature from the very beginning.Insects
Burnite. Very often this stone can be mistaken for real amber. Although in a huge piece of bernite, the content of amber particles sometimes does not reach even 5%, and sometimes not even at all. Also, as a fake, you can use more ancient stones: polybern, bakelite, faturan. However, natural stone is inferior in quality, because it was not created in a couple of hours, but for centuries. It has solar and terrestrial energy, it is used for medical purposes.
What to look for when choosing amber and stone products?
Recognition methods for a natural gem are based on its properties.
The original should not have any voids inside with air. Even without a microscope, they can be seen.
Natural stone looks richer than fake. Natural stone is endowed with a variety of colors and the transition from one color to another is messy. The pattern is so unique that repeating it is simply unrealistic. Without using super powerful microscopes, a fake can be seen with a magnifying glass. You can easily see hilly compounds, they were formed in the process of incomplete sintering.Distinguish from fake
Natural stone has a low density. Amber is always warm, unlike fakes, it is endowed with high thermal conductivity. Even in appearance, large beads can weigh from 65-75 g. Fakes made of plastic and glass are small in size, but they weigh a lot more.
Real amber, worn on silk fabric or natural wool, is endowed with a negative charge. To check this, you need to cut the paper and put amber there. Pieces will stick to an electrified stone. Digging in this way cannot be checked, since electrification is unusual for him.
If you set the original amber on fire, it will light up for a couple of seconds. Hold in a flame for a couple of seconds and then put aside, it will continue to burn. At the very base of the flame, the stone will boil. Smoke from amber smokes and has a black color.
Solvent Test Method
If you influence the natural gem with acetone, then no changes will occur with the appearance, unlike fakes, which, when they come into contact with alcohol, are destroyed. In this way, you can check plastic products. The color will fade and the surface will be rough. Will also be spoiled and dug. For glass, this method does not work.
If you use this method when checking natural stone, then this should be done from the outside of the product.
In the rays of an ultraviolet lamp, a real stone glows. If the stone is sufficiently transparent, then you can see the blue glow. If the stone is dull, then the glow effect will not be so intense.
- Unprocessed natural stone glows brown.
- Bakelite and casein with a UV lamp will glow in yellow. Kopad and Ambroid will be, has a milky color. Amber made in a synthetic way will not glow at all.
In the store, you can check the stone using a device for checking fake bills. If the stone is real, then the seller will definitely not refuse you.Stone differences
Glass is also considered one of the materials for faking natural stone. In stores, you can find them quite often. How to distinguish glass from real stone?
- Take a sharp object (needle, blade) and draw a line along the surface of the stone. If the stone is natural, then a trace slightly visible to the eye will remain on it. There will be no defects on the glass. However, this method can damage the stone.
- Prepare a composition of 50 g of salt and 300 ml of water. Dip the stone in water. If it is glass, then the stone will immediately sink to the bottom, but if it is real amber or other resins, then they will float to the surface. This test will not give any result if the stone is in the finished product. Using this method, it is possible to detect not only glass, but also bakelite and celluloid. However, for digging and pressed amber, this method of detecting a fake will not work.
For the manufacture of jewelry is still used plastic. Plastic and amber are dense. Amber has it less, so it will not be difficult to check the originality of the stone. A real stone will crumble into small crumbs, and a plastic jewelry will break in uneven pieces.
Pressed amber can be used as a fake. Using a hydraulic system, very small pieces of amber are pressed in a vacuum way. It is very difficult to distinguish such a fake from natural stone, because in appearance and in physical properties they are identical.Press
- Color difference. The pressed stone will have a sharp color transition, and there will be a feeling that this is not one solid piece, but many small fragments. If you carefully examine the stone in the light, you will notice a lot of small bubbles and clots. The original has a smooth color transition.
- Using essential oil, you can also check the stones. Wipe the stones with a cloth soaked in oil. The fake will be sticky to the touch, and real amber will remain the same.
If the stone is already in the jewelry made of silver or other metal, then it is very difficult to find a fake. At any jewelry store you will not be allowed to conduct tests. Therefore, it is recommended to purchase original jewelry from trusted manufacturers. Every self-respecting jewelry store must present you with a quality certificate. In the document you can see where the stone was found, proof that the stone is environmentally friendly.
Summing up, we can say that there are many methods for checking stones for authenticity. So when buying jewelry and products from real amber, do not rush to make a choice, carefully examine the stone and ask to show a quality certificate. Do not purchase products from this gem in questionable stores or crossings. There they certainly will not sell the original.