The article provides information on what are the differences between the two cultures of savory and thyme. You will learn how they differ in appearance and how plants are used.
Many people confuse savory and thyme plants. Still, such similar names. Indeed, these cultures have many common characteristics, but there are striking differences. Even in antiquity, one and the other herbs were used for culinary recipes. And then healers began to use them to treat various diseases.
It so happened that people know more about the beneficial and negative characteristics of thyme, as it is also called thyme, than about savory (the second name is kondari). Further in detail we will consider this topic. Find out the difference between thyme and savory?
Savory and thyme: what is the difference between them?
Savory is a grassy branching culture. This is an annual plant with pink or purple small flowers. Savory is considered pepper grass, as it has a very rich, spicy and bitter taste, a special aroma. Condari can grow in height from fifteen to fifty centimeters. The stem of this herb is erect. Lanceolate foliage has a greenish-gray color. In mid-summer, buds are already appearing, finally ripening in the fall, they look like brown nuts.Garden savory
Thyme is a perennial culture; it grows only in a handicraft way. Thyme is a climbing plant. He has small oval-shaped leaves. The flowers of this grass are pink, purple, lilac. It has a bitter taste, with an incomparable, delicate aroma. This plant has many tree-like trunks that reach thirty centimeters in length. In early September, the plants appear fruits in the form of small boxes. In the middle of which there are two nuts in the form of balls.Creeping thyme
The similarity of these plants is that they are ranked among the clear-flowered herbs. The differences are as follows:
- Thyme, unlike savory, has a large size.
- Thyme blooms with beautiful, bright flowers. That is why he is seated in areas to decorate flower beds garden paths.
- Thyme is a perennial culture, so it sometimes grows for about 5 years in the same place, savory grows only one year.
- Savory always grows in the form of small shrubs, and thyme crisscrosses the entire surface of the earth.
- Savory is not very noticeable in appearance, but it has a strong aroma. And its taste is similar to the taste of pepper.
- Thyme is often eaten as a seasoning, but it is advisable to collect it before it blooms. This culture is used to treat various ailments, it has a delicate smell, unlike kondary.
Plants are also similar in that they contain a lot of aromatic oils. But thyme is better known to users, as it is unpretentious in care and grows everywhere.
Savory and thyme: what species are there?
The most popular varieties of savory are two main types:
- Savory mountain - one of the most famous varieties, it is used for medical purposes, for cooking various dishes. Some crops of this species can grow up to 60 centimeters in height. The leaves of such a savory have a narrow shape, they are used for therapy in various diseases. The culture of this species does not tolerate severe frosts, does not like strong watering.
- Garden savory usually grows in European states. Culture can reach fifty centimeters in height. The flowers of this savory are small, but flowering is plentiful, and the leaves of the culture are small, with a dark shade.
Thyme has more than 150 species. The most popular of them are:
- Common thyme - the undersized variety reaches only 15 cm in height. The leaves of a small culture, inflorescences are purple or white.
- Lemon thyme - each leaf of the plant has a slightly yellowish tint at the edges, which goes smoothly into a light green color towards the center. The aroma of the plant is similar to the smell of citrus. That is why he received such a name.
- Thyme Elfin - A small culture reaches only 5 cm in height. It looks like an oval cloud.
- Creeping thyme - height about 15 cm. Likes fertile, moderately acidic soil. The stems of the plant look like creeping branches. The leaves of the plant have a length of 0.9-1 cm, on the branches are small whitish, pinkish flowers. It is this culture that is called thyme.
- Also known - Bogorodsky Semko. Thyme also with creeping stems. Leaves of a greenish-gray shade have a bitter taste and pleasant smell. Thyme flowers are pink, purple.
- Thyme rainbow - a plant with beautiful flowers in a purple and pinkish tint. The height of the stems is about 25 centimeters, the leaves, like other varieties, have a gray-green hue.
Savory and thyme - what is the difference: differences in the application of crops
Savory natural panacea, the benefits of the plant depends on its unique composition. It is a natural supplier of vitamin A, mineral components to the human body, it also has many tannins, resins, etc.What are crop properties used for?
The common thing that the thyme and savory have is bactericidal effect on the body person. Both of these cultures can infect harmful bacteria that are the source of various infections.
Savory has the following positive characteristics:
- Thanks to the plant, quick healing of wounds on the skin tissue occurs.
- He is able to cleanse the patient's body from harmful microorganisms.
- Panacea helps eliminate pain due to tannin components.
- The plant lowers the temperature, fights well with fever.
- Shrub leaves have powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
- Beneficial effect on the nervous system, calms.
- Used to stop bleeding.
The plant has a unique property of drawing poison out of a wound after a snake bite. Also savory is used to treat pathologies such as:
- Stomatitis, neuralgia, cystitis.
- Pathology of the thyroid gland, disturbances in the work of the heart, irregularities in the cycle of menstruation.
- Gastrointestinal diseases, intestinal disorders, diabetes mellitus.
Also, decoctions with savory are recommended for men with prostatitis, potency disorders. Tea with culture leaves is used to treat colds, stop vomiting, and preventive measures in the fight against cancer pathologies.Thyme - application
Contraindications to the use of culture
The common feature of these crops is that they are undesirable for use in allergenic reactions, during pregnancy, breastfeeding and children under 1 gOh yeah.
Savory has much more contraindications. These include:
- gastritis, gastrointestinal ulcer pathology
- heart disease
- high blood pressure
Savory - how to use, what contraindications?
IMPORTANT: Aromatic oils of these crops can cause side effects on the body.
Condary used for cooking. Salads are often prepared from grass, they are added to the first courses, especially for people suffering from appetite. For cooking, as a rule, take buds, leaves, shoots of savory. The main thing you need to know is that seasoning should only be added in moderation. Otherwise, the taste will be interrupted by a bright aroma - not everyone can like it.
Useful characteristics of thyme
The composition of the culture includes aromatic oils, flavonoids, fatty acids, ascorbic acid, saponin, carotene, thymol, tannic components, potassium, magnesium, calcium, tsimol and other useful components.
Thyme is often used by housewives for cooking various dishes. Seasoning is familiar to many. Women love to add leaves to their second or first courses. Seasoning is poured into baking or used to prepare preservation from vegetables, etc. Mostly, they use caraway, lemon thyme. They add light notes of pleasant aromas to various dishes. But even if you are a connoisseur of various smells of herbs and seasonings, you should not add them too much, because thyme is famous for its bitter aftertaste. You run the risk of ruining the dish.The benefits of thyme
The plant is known to many due to its ability to cope with various colds. It is successfully used for inhalation, rinsing, drinking like tea to cope with pharyngitis, gingivitis, stomatitis, tonsillitis, laryngitis and other ailments that await people in the cold season.
Another thyme is effective:
- It is able to save patients from bouts of cramp. Eliminate pain.
- Panacea has a pronounced effect in the fight against inflammatory processes that occur in the body systems.
- Thyme is prescribed herbalists for the treatment of cough, both in children and in adults.
- The grass gives a diuretic effect for various problems with the kidneys, has a choleretic effect.
- It affects about fifty species of parasites living in different parts of the body, has an astringent effect.
- It has a beneficial effect on the healing of wounds on the body, and even copes with complex lesions of the skin and soft tissue fibers.
The use of thyme and savory in cosmetology
Thyme and savory can be used to treat acne, boils, acne and other skin problems, both on the face and body. To do this, make decoctions of leaves, stems, and then put lotions on problem areas on the body.
Thyme beneficially affects the person as a whole, it is used for the manufacture of aromatic oils. In the future, they are used for masks on the hair and general improvement of the emotional state.
Savory they are also used to combat hair loss and as a preventive measure. Thanks to masks with savory, the hair has the ability to recover, begin to grow faster. Savory is also effective in various diseases that appear on the epidermis. Applying it as a lotion can cope with suppuration, eczema, boils, fungus and scabies. Savory tea - rejuvenates the skin.Health Benefits of Natural Plants
After the above information, you can easily distinguish savory from thyme, even in appearance. In addition, it is now clear that these are completely different herbs that have a different taste and aroma. And these crops have slightly different properties. Although there are many coincidences, especially in use.